How to Find More Time to Accomplish Your Dreams
Updated: Aug 22
Do you have a list of things that you want to get done but just never seem to find the time? Do you have dreams and goals that someday you will start a business, write a book, or have the courage to start something new?
Whether it’s the everyday list of tasks that don’t get completed, or the bigger goals and dreams that continue to only be a dream, time seems to be the biggest challenge for a lot of people.
One of the things I’ve learned is that making the time is a choice - my choice. I can’t control outside circumstances, but I can control what I choose to focus on and dedicate my time to.
Now I totally understand that we are busy people. Sometimes circumstances outside of our control will determine where our immediate attention needs to be. However, successful people make the time. Successful people find a way and don’t make excuses.
Below are five ways that can help you find the time for completing things that are important to you.
1. Get yourself in the right mental state by Identifying why you want it - and if possible, list several reasons. If you want to create your own business, maybe it’s because you don’t like your current job and you dream of being your own boss. Or maybe you want more freedom, your own schedule, or financial gain. If you want to lose weight, your reasons could include feeling better, being able to be physically active, or being proud of how you look and feel. Whatever makes you excited, write it down. These are the reasons that will keep you focused and committed when other things try to take over your time.
2. Break down what you want to complete into smaller tasks. Sometimes, a project can seem so big and overwhelming that it’s hard to know where to begin. Having smaller, manageable tasks that can fit into your day will move you step-by-step toward the completion of your goal.
3. Schedule time during the day when you will complete the task. Don’t just put it on your to-do list. By scheduling it into your day, you have created a time slot for it to be completed. This related blog provides some helpful productivity tips.
4. Create new habits to find more time. To find uninterrupted time, you may need to get up 60 minutes earlier. Or maybe instead of watching TV at night or surfing the web, you decide to use that time to focus on your goal. What are you going to start doing and what are you going to stop doing that will create more time?
5. Create a sense of urgency. What will happen if you don’t make the time for what you want to complete? How would you feel a year from now if you looked back and realized you didn’t create the time again to accomplish something that’s really important to you?
It’s easy to say we don’t have time and it’s easy to continue doing what makes us comfortable. But success and fulfillment are all achieved when you commit to doing something different. Take the first step and commit to creating a consistent time for the things that are important to you!
If you like content like this, be sure to click here to download my free resource!